Scope was one of the several off-shoot shows held in Miami during Art Basel in 2006.
This time I stayed outside on the grass in the dappled shade, catching people as they wandered into or out of the show. The outdoor light changed all the colors.
Photo by Gary Mercer
I always thought that the different designs from each performance could be strung together like strands of DNA. Here is the first example:
The moving spots of sunshine marked the photos, making them look like they were under water.
Blue of shadows, blue of memory, swans on blue water.
"Pleasure to meet you at the scope art fair during art basal week, 2006, and participate in your performance piece, DNA of Blue. As a big fan of performance art, I liked how you were grabbing people off the sidewalk and asking them to participate. Very cool stuff. We need more conceptual and performance art in our society."
~ Gary Mercer, PM Gallery, Miami
I saw little or no work at any of the shows in Miami that told that our country was in the midst of two wars, in Iraq and Afghanistan. Much of my other work at the time was all tied up in war, see www.margaretparkerstudio.com
![]() |
|
Army
Time,
2005
|
![]() |
Wounded, 2005
|
![]() |
Crumpled Columns, 2005
|

DNA of Blue was started as a search for a broader definition of humanity - my reaction to the 9/11 attacks, instead of starting a war. The project gives me a way to approach people from all walks of life and find a common delight in design. This participant said as she was working: "I must meditate. It's speaking to me."












No comments:
Post a Comment