Friday, June 1, 2012

Pool-Miami



The only artist-presented show which coincided with Art Basel Miami 2006 was called Pool Miami.  I was selected to come and brought the DNA of Blue along with my other work.
Each artist had their own room at the Cavalier Hotel, right on the edge of Miami Beach.  I installed deconstructed T-shirts, prints and watercolors. 30 artists filled two floors of the hotel with their work. It was a gas.
People from all over the world strolled through the halls. Many came from Central and South America, a group I'd had little chance to engage with on an artistic level.  They enjoyed vibrant color and active design. They were easy going and art loving, such a change from angst ridden New York and depressed Michigan. They liked my stuff.
When action was slow, I spread out the DNA of Blue, which filled most of the floor space, and invited participation. 

Artists, friends and visitors added their arrangements to the collection of DNA of Blue. This was the bathroom installation.
Skinned, 2005, 1 cotton T-shirt, wire; 7h x 10w x 10”d
This Brazilian artist took the DNA of Blue pieces off of the floor cloth and into the tiny bathroom where they danced with the pattern of the tiles.




 These twin artists are from Switzerland and New York.  Watching them work was amazing, their collaboration was like a duet or a dance.
This friend mixed the best martini.  Her looping creation looks like a race track or the symbol for infinity.

Living for four days in this hotel room filled with my artwork and watching people dive into this project gave me the confidence to continue with DNA of Blue, the first piece I'd done that so publicly asked for participation.



No comments:

Post a Comment