Tuesday, May 29, 2012

MCACA conference

The first public event where I brought the DNA of Blue was the 2006 Michigan Council for Arts and Cultural Affairs conference, the annual event that draws together people from all over the state who are involved in the arts and culture. I thought it would be a natural place to test the project. I didn't get permission, I just came as a conference attendee. So I was a bit nervous.
I spread a black cloth on the carpet and put out 12 shapes painted in different shades of blue. Photos of other arrangements were laid beside it. I started by fooling around, made an arrangement, then invited other people to participate.




Old friends got right to work. Janet made 3 designs.


Mike, from Monroe, said he was making music.
Some really spread out.
A woman from the Chelsea Center of the Arts left her booth and built a blue castle.




Director of the Department 
of History, Arts and Libraries participates
.
Other work I was doing at the time explored cutting up and reconstructing cotton T-shirts. Some were blue, too.
E Pluribus Unum, 2005; 1 cotton T-shirt, felt backing, 6’ht x 6-8”w


No comments:

Post a Comment